Overview: At Versatyle, we are deeply committed to business process improvement. When we assess an organization, we see beyond its structure and focus on its business processes. In collaboration with our clients, we identify the first process to enhance. Often, these processes are manual, error-prone, and involve employees in extensive manual interactions with various systems or reliance on Excel. The manual handling of data and the subsequent need to rectify errors can lead to significant time wastage, affecting service quality and causing delays, especially in critical areas like patient care.
- Manual, error-prone processes.
- Inefficiency in data handling.
- Frustrating hurdles affecting service quality.
- Suboptimal utilization of resources.
- Process Assessment: Versatyle conducts workshops and interviews with employees who work directly with the process. By thoroughly examining the process, we identify pain points and areas for improvement. Quick wins are implemented promptly, but the primary focus is on understanding the current process to determine a starting point for enhancement.
- Data Analysis: In some cases, modern Business Process Intelligence tools are used to analyze logfiles of operational systems, revealing irregular process routes and waiting times during execution.
- Process Redesign: The real transformation occurs when designing new processes. Versatyle employs role-based ‘swimlane’ diagrams to design end-to-end processes. By utilizing our Integration-hub and data integration/cleansing expertise, we invite clients to envision their ideal processes and make these visions a reality. This is achieved by enabling seamless communication between various systems through our Integration-hub, based on the client’s direction. Users benefit from the elimination of manual tasks and see their roles clearly defined in the swimlane diagrams, aligning with their expectations.
- Incremental Improvement: Enhancements are typically implemented in small, manageable steps that build upon each other, progressing toward the ideal process. These successes are celebrated, fostering a positive atmosphere for change. Collaborative organizational improvements with involved stakeholders become an enjoyable journey.
Client Case: For a care institute, Versatyle identified numerous manual steps in the sign-on process that resulted in the retyping of emails into the care system and involved a convoluted software-flow with duplications. The service desk’s call scripts aimed to assist customers with complex questions based on intricate business rules and different care routes. This often led to customer misdirection and rerouting. The initial steps involved digitizing the sign-on process to eliminate email retyping and implementing ‘smart-forms.’ These automated the call scripts by generating the next question based on earlier responses directly into the forms. Completed forms were then filled in by software robots (RPA) into the care system. This automation reduced the need for highly qualified service desk employees to support customers effectively, resulting in shorter waiting lists for clients. Caretakers also spent less time rectifying errors in downstream processes.
- Digitized and streamlined processes with fewer manual steps.
- Implementation of ‘smart-forms’ and automation through RPA.
- Enhanced customer support with shorter waiting times.
- Improved resource utilization and reduced errors in downstream processes.
Key Takeaways: This case study underscores the value of process optimization and digitization, particularly in healthcare institutions. By engaging in incremental improvements and using the right technology, organizations can streamline their operations, enhance service quality, and achieve substantial time and resource savings.
Conclusion: Versatyle’s approach to process optimization and digitization in healthcare institutions demonstrates the tangible benefits of automation and data-driven enhancements. By successfully eliminating manual tasks and improving the customer support experience, the care institute realized improved efficiency, shorter waiting times for clients, and a more effective use of resources. This case study showcases the potential for meaningful transformations in the healthcare sector through streamlined processes and automation.