Overview: A prominent bank in the Netherlands aimed to integrate the operations and systems of a specialized niche bank it had recently acquired into its existing processes and systems. To achieve this complex task, a program organization was established. A consulting firm analyzed the program’s impact on products, services, processes, and systems. They created an initial roadmap of required projects, outlining lead times and costs using PowerPoint and Excel.
The bank sought Versatyle’s expertise to evaluate the program’s feasibility using their unique BizzNav software solution. Could the roadmap realistically guide the program to its objectives?
- Integrating the operations and systems of an acquired niche bank into the larger bank’s infrastructure.
- Creating a roadmap that accurately reflects lead times, costs, and resource availability.
- Addressing discrepancies in resource data and dependencies within the program.
- Resource-Aware Roadmap with BizzNav: Versatyle’s BizzNav solution integrated resource availability into the program’s roadmap. Resource information was exported from a project portfolio tool and imported into BizzNav, including resource roles and availability.
- Resource Data Correction: During the import process, discrepancies in resource data were identified and corrected, providing the organization with a precise overview of resource availability across different project roles for the change program.
- Dependency Analysis: BizzNav’s structured approach revealed unexpected dependencies within the program. It became evident that the PowerPoint roadmap was incomplete and that additional projects were needed for changes in the application landscape.
- Scenario Planning: Projects in BizzNav were linked to Program KPIs, allowing the creation of scenarios to optimize the roadmap. Projects were adjusted based on dependencies, costs, lead times, and their contribution to KPIs.
- A Reality Check: BizzNav’s analysis uncovered significant discrepancies. The program’s duration and cost were both expected to be far greater than initially estimated, with KPI milestones nowhere close to being achieved.
- Program Adjustment: After extensive decision-making, the program was halted, and its architecture reconsidered. The use of BizzNav prevented a major disappointment and potential financial loss, as it revealed the likelihood of the program’s cancellation after years of non-delivery.
Key Takeaways: This case study underscores the critical role that comprehensive data analysis and scenario planning play in achieving the success of major change programs. BizzNav’s support and unique approach exposed discrepancies early on, potentially saving the organization from substantial financial losses and program failure.
Conclusion: Through collaboration with Versatyle and the implementation of the BizzNav Program/Roadmap Service, the bank gained a comprehensive understanding of its change program’s challenges. BizzNav exposed the program’s true complexity, enabling necessary adjustments and better decision-making. This case study illustrates the value of data-driven insights and scenario-based planning in driving program success within time and budget constraints.